Delta 8 THC in Iowa: Is it Legal?
Is Delta-8-THC Legal in Iowa?
This website is subject to the Terms of Service, which are incorporated herein by reference.
Delta 8 THC, a naturally occurring cannabinoid in hemp plants, has gained widespread popularity because of its potential beneficial applications. In contrast to Delta 9 THC, the primary psychoactive ingredient in marijuana, Delta 8 THC has entirely different effects.
Is Delta 8 THC Legal in Iowa, Though?
Related article: What is Delta 8 THC?
No, Delta 8 THC Is Not Legal In Iowa
As of this writing (09/22/2021), Iowa state law prohibits the use of delta 8 THC.
Very bad Iowa doesn't employ the same legislation or terminology as Delta 8 THC in Illinois and Delta 8 THC in Missouri, which set the rules for Delta 8 THC use. Maybe in the near future things will change.
The following bills highlight why Delta 8 THC is illegal in Iowa
CHAPTER 96 - HEMP
1. The plant Cannabis sativa L. and any part of that plant, including the seeds thereof, and all derivatives, extracts, cannabinoids, isomers, acids, salts, and salts of isomers, whether growing or not, with a delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol concentration of not more than 0.3 percent on a dry weight basis when tested using postdecarboxylation or other similarly reliable methods.
2. A plant of the genus Cannabis other than Cannabis sativa L., with a delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol concentration of not more than 0.3 percent on a dry weight basis when tested using postdecarboxylation or other similarly reliable methods, but only to the extent allowed by the department in accordance with applicable federal law, including the federal hemp law.
“THC” means total tetrahydrocannabinol as determined by an official laboratory test postdecarboxylation.
IOWA CODE 124 – CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES
20. “Marijuana” means all parts of the plants of the genus Cannabis, whether growing or not; the seeds thereof; the resin extracted from any part of the plant; and every compound, Thu Dec 05 12:35:22 2019 Iowa Code 2020, Chapter 124 (49, 4) §124.101, CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES 4 manufacture, salt, derivative, mixture or preparation of the plant, its seeds or resin, including tetrahydrocannabinols. It does not include the mature stalks of the plant, fiber produced from the stalks, oil or cake made from the seeds of the plant, any other compound, manufacture, salt, derivative, mixture, or preparation of the mature stalks (except the resin extracted therefrom), fiber, oil or cake or the sterilized seed of the plant which is incapable of germination.
4. Hallucinogenic substances. Unless specifically excepted or unless listed in another schedule, any material, compound, mixture, or preparation, which contains any quantity of the following hallucinogenic substances, or which contains any of its salts, isomers, and salts of isomers whenever the existence of such salts, isomers, and salts of isomers is possible within the specific chemical designation (for purposes of this paragraph only, the term “isomer” includes the optical, position and geometric isomers):
u. Tetrahydrocannabinols, except as otherwise provided by rules of the board for medicinal purposes, meaning tetrahydrocannabinols naturally contained in a plant of the genus Cannabis (Cannabis plant) as well as synthetic equivalents of the substances contained in the Cannabis plant, or in the resinous extractives of such plant, and synthetic substances, derivatives, and their isomers with similar chemical structure and pharmacological activity to those substances contained in the plant, such as the following:
(1) 1 cis or trans tetrahydrocannabinol, and their optical isomers.
(2) 6 cis or trans tetrahydrocannabinol, and their optical isomers.
(3) 3,4 cis or trans tetrahydrocannabinol, and their optical isomers. (Since nomenclature of these substances is not internationally standardized, compounds of these structures, regardless of numerical designation of atomic positions covered.)
Is Delta 9 THC legal in Iowa?
It might not make sense to a beginner enthusiast why Delta 9 made from hemp is permitted in Iowa but not Delta 8.
Everything is connected to the 2018 Agriculture Bill.
Prior to the passage of this measure, hemp was equated with marijuana.
Yet, this proposal would allow hemp with up to 0.3% of Delta 9 generated from hemp and would also legally segregate the two plants.
The measure was approved.
Since that time, states all throughout the nation have put these laws into effect and altered the definition of hemp, including Iowa.
As of the time of this writing, Delta 9 made from hemp complies with Farm Bill regulations, is permitted to travel across states, and is legal in all 50 states.
What’s the Difference Between Delta 8 and Delta 9?
Despite the fact that Delta 8 and Delta 9 are both variations of THC, they have different chemical compositions that have different effects.
But we're not here to drone on about how different they are chemically.
Instead, we shall sum it up clearly.
These two chemicals share the same formula.
Although the chemical bond for Delta 8 is on the eighth chain, that of Delta 9 is on the ninth.
They are hence referred to as "Delta 8" and "Delta 9."
You might be shocked to learn that this minor difference is the main factor in how these cannabinoids affect people differently.
Others claim that Delta 8 will make you feel boosted and generally happy, whereas Delta 9 is said to make you feel euphoric.
Although effects vary, knowing what to expect beforehand will help.
What Are The Requirements to Buy Delta 9 in Iowa?
In Iowa, you must be 21 or older to purchase Delta 9 hemp items.
Where to Buy Delta 9 and CBD Near You?
Are you looking for Delta 9?
Fortunately for you, this is exactly our style.
Your neighborhood hemp shop is the best location to start looking for Delta 9 items.
Depending on the shop's size, they will have different items in stock.
If your local store doesn't have what you need, you can order it online.
The best approach to obtaining Delta 9 is to buy hemp online.
It is quick, discrete, and simple.
And when you visit our online store, you'll see that we do that in addition to providing high-quality, lab-tested goods.
We sell Delta 9 products made from hemp, including candy and baked goods.
So improve your hemp game immediately by using the best available products.
Here are some of the hemp-derived Delta 9 and CBD products that we carry at CannaAid.
Cannabis and Its Future in Iowa
We suggest that you communicate your concerns to your state and local legislators if you wish to see these laws changed. The cannabis laws in your state must be changed if you want them to. Inform your reps if you want to be able to buy Delta 8 THC and CBD products!
This website's information does not constitute legal advice and is not meant to be. The information, content, and materials on this website are intended for informational purposes only and should not be used to make you decide whether or not to purchase any of our products. Laws vary from one state to the next and are always changing. This website may not contain the most current legal or other information. For verification of the legal status and products listed on this website, please consult an attorney in your area. Click here for our Legal Disclaimer.